Podcast: What is an Athletic Trainer?
"So, it's basically the same thing as a personal trainer - right?"
I receive this question all of the time. It's one of the main reasons I moved internationally, to improve international sport safety and advocate for my profession abroad. Athletic trainers are allied health professionals that specialize in the prevention, evaluation, treatment, management, and rehabilitation of sport-related injuries.
At Concordia, we have had a progressive approach to the athletic trainer role. The AT skillset has furthered to benefit the staff and students in a number of ways:
- On-campus orthopedic and rehabilitative care for Concordia student-athletes and staff
- General health consultant for staff on nutrition and fitness advisement
- Co-teacher and supervisor for Applied Human Anatomy & Physiology (AHAP) students
- Developed a partnership with physician to establish a "Team doctor"
- Regular orthopedic clinics for staff and student-athletes
- AHAP students work directly with team doctor as a part of applied learning
Learn more about athletic training in international schools at the podcast below!