Concordia Wades Into the Battle of The Books
by Christina Dominique-Pierre, Elementary School Librarian
Concordia’s Elementary School has, for the first time ever, fielded a team for an inter-school literary challenge. On Friday, March 8, 2019, we took 2 teams, Phoenix Scholars and Phoenix Readers to the 1st Annual Battle of the Books Elementary School Division Competition. The teams consisted of: Timothy C., Ava P., Jacob L., Ayaka S., Andrew Y., Crystal Z., Kevin Z., and Roselyn S.. These students spent the Fall and Winter CCA commitment preparing for a live Shanghai School-on-School duel. This preparation was more than just a Book Club; they read, challenged, discussed, and ultimately proved their knowledge of 8 books:
• Crenshaw by Kathrine Applegate
• Forget Me Not by Ellie Terry
• Hello Universe by Erin Kelly
• Orphan Island by Laurel Snyder
• Read Friends by Shannon Hale
• The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Bradley
• Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea
• The Wild Robot by Peter Brown
On March 8th, they battled against 19 teams of Elementary students from 10 International Schools across Shanghai and Suzhou. This full-day tournament included:
• Battle Activities (Freeze Frame; Photo Booth; Name that Last Line)
• Private workshop, photo and meeting with Award-winning author, Laurel Snyder.
• A singed copy of Orphan Island
• Kahoot Battle of 75 questions
• T-shirt Design
• Cake-Off (students conveyed their knowledge of a book/s on a cake they planned and designed together)
• Reading Achievement Awards & Certificates
Congratulations to our Phoenix Scholars and Phoenix Readers for your hard work and commitment to excellence! A special thanks to Michelle Krzmarzick, Missy Zendler, and Leona Shen for taking the leap into this competition and joining our students on this Battle Journey!
We are looking forward to Battle of the Books 2020!